Pages

Friday, September 01, 2006

Is it sweet???
Is it spicy???
Is it tangy???
Is it sour???
Well, whatever it is, one thing's for sure....it is delicious!!!
When Vineela announced that the theme for JFI-5 would be milk and milk products, I had no idea what I was going to make. Not because I couldn't think of anything, but 'coz there's an abundance of recipes featuring mik in our cuisine and picking and choosing just one was proving to be a major task. When I made this dish, the thought of sending this in as an entry had not yet crossed my mind. It is only when I was clicking away with my camera that a light bulb flashed inside my head.....OK...this has yogurt in it....yogurt is a milk product....do u see those wheels in my brain turning???
Alright, let's get to the recipe now.....

Pineapple pachadi

What u need:
Pineapple - 1 cup(diced into small pieces)
Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 3 or 4(adjust to taste)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Sour yogurt - 3/4 cup
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder
Urad dal and mustard seeds - to tamper

Boil pineapple pieces in a pan along with turmeric powder and salt in just enough water to cover it. Grind coconut, green chillies, mustard seeds and yogurt into a smooth paste. Once the pineapple is cooked, add the ground mixture to it...heat for a few minutes.....do not let it boil. Tamper mustard seeds and urad dal in some coconut oil and pour on top of the pachadi.
Enjoy.....

Some memories associated with this dish:
  • Traditional sadya (feast) served on a banana leaf back home
  • My grandfather and me going and looking at the tiny pineapple blossoming in our back yard every single day.....me trying to see how much it's grown since the previous day
  • The wholesome aroma of sliced pineapple
  • The goosebumps I'd get from the sound of metal meeting the skin of the fruit...I still do
Check out Vineela's JFI round-up here

5 comments:

Vineela said...

hi jayashree,
Pineapple pachadai looks delicious.
I never tried thi srecipe.
THANK for participating in JFI and sharing a wonderful traditional item of sadhya.
hAPPY BLOGGING.
vineela

Revathi said...

The goosebumps - I know what ur talking about..
This dish is very new to me..

Jayashree said...

Thank u for visiting me, Vineela.
Revathi, this is a traditional Kerala dish.

FH said...

Flavour riot!! That's what came to my mind when I saw this..WOW!! Thanks...

Prema Sundar said...

I haven't tried this recipe ....and it sounds interesting...Thanks for posting a traditional recipe.