Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Methi theplas for RCI-Rajasthan

Looking around for a Rajasthani dish that I could make using ingredients that i had on hand is what led me to the book "Taste of Rajasthan (Delicious Vegetarian Food from the Land of Rajasthan) by Harveen Choudhary. The fact that I had a bunch of fresh methi just waiting to be used helped decide on the dish that was going to be cooked. I have followed Choudhary's recipe almost to the T except for certain small changes.

What you need:
Fresh methi leaves(chopped) - 1 cup
Wheat flour - 2 cups
Gram flour - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Green chillies - 2, ground into a paste
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Sour curd - 3/4 cup
Oil - 3 tsp

Mix the chopped methi leaves and curd in a bowl and set aside for an hour. Add all the other ingredients to this and knead to a smooth pliable dough. If needed, add some warm water while kneading. Cover and keep aside for an hour.
Take a small ball of dough. Dredge it in some wheat flour and roll out into a thick circle. Transfer the thepla to a heated tawa....cook until you see a few brown spots on the bottom. Turn over, drizzle some oil/ghee over it if you'd like to and cook for a minute. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
Serve hot...or cold...it tastes good either way...

What I think of these theplas:
They turned out super soft and delicious...the original recipe called for 1 cup of curd and that's what I used, but the dough turned out to be a little sticky and so I had to add more flour.
I loved the colour that the turmeric and garam masala gave to the theplas. I don't find much difference between these and the methi parathas that I make...except for the fact that I've never soaked the methi leaves in curd before...I suppose that takes away the bitterness. These tasted great on their own....the only thing I'd probably eat with it is mango thokku...but even that is not necessary.

This is my entry to RCI-Rajasthan hosted by Padmaja of Spicy Andhra and to Srivalli's Roti Mela.

13 comments:

Suganya said...

Hi Jayashree....
These are lovely theplas... Looks YUM!... really wanted ur version... COOL!

FH said...

That book sounds interesting, will look for it. Theplas look yum, with spices it must taste delicious!:)

Kalai said...

I've never tried soaking methi leaves for rotis before... Will have to try this method out as well! Nice entry! :)

Hetal said...

hmm Love methi theplas,nice recipe.would love to see u on my blog

Cham said...

Nice entry, the theplas looks lovely :)

Padmaja said...

Theplas look so yum Jaya.
I am so glad you could make something for my event!!
thanks a lot

sunita said...

Jayashree, the theplas look lovely...must give it a try...thanks :-)

EC said...

Yummy theplas

Swati Raman Garg said...

love theplas and urs look perfect....

Sunshinemom said...

Lovely my dear....!

Uma said...

looks so delicious. lovely entry.

Meera said...

Wonderful entry!

Maninas said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for the birthday wishes! :)

this is a very interesting recipe, btw!