Pages

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

From Her Diverse Kitchen to mine

Aparna's Diverse Kitchen is a blog that needs no introduction. It is a ready reckoner for those looking for traditional Palakkad Iyer fare or for cakes and other bakes. When Valli announced that her blog is being featured in this month's Tried & Tasted, an event started by Zlamushka and now taken over by Lakshmi, I went through her recipe index to see what I could make. There were quite a few dishes that looked and sounded wonderful, but the name Mujadara appealed to me the most. I love saying it....mujadara....doesn't that sound exotic? The fact that there were only three major ingredients was a further plus. For the recipe, please go to this post of Aparna's.

What I think of the dish:
This is a hearty, filling dish with a delicious creaminess from the masoor dal and a slight sweetness from the caramelised onions. Even though the ingredient list and the procedure look simple, do this when you have lots of time on hand, as caramelising the onions takes quite a bit of time. All said and done, the effort you put in is definitely worth it. This is one recipe that I am sure to make again.

5 comments:

sra said...

Yep, the onions look grand!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

One of our favourites. Am really happy that you liked it too.:)
Thanks for cooking one of my recipes.

Aparna S Mallya said...

Sounds like an easy recipe with just 3 ingredients!

lata raja said...

I loved this too...just like you, the name tempted me to read the post several times, not to mention the beautifullly done onions...you have replicated so well.

Srivalli said...

Oh that does look very good..I love caramelized onion..Thanks for sending the entry Jay!