Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Akki rotti - Rice flour rotis

I have eaten akki rotti exactly twice before this - once at Mahamudra, a restaurant in Chennai (read my review here) and then during a recent trip to Coorg when I had to specifically ask the cook to make this Coorgi speciality for me. If I hadn't asked, I am sure I would have ended up eating something inane like toast and butter, which the cook served anyway because there were many other people who were interested in eating just that.

Making akki rotti at home is not a very difficult task, though making it in a kadai is time consuming mainly because you have to let the kadai cool each time before you make the next one. I slightly quickened this process by running cold water over the kadai after making each rotti. It still was a time consuming process and I think patting it out on a plastic sheet and then cooking it on a tawa would have considerably speeded things up.
The source of this recipe is a friend who was helpful to the extent of showing me what consistency the dough should be and gave me a list of all the ingredients I could add. Thank you R.
I have also been guided by the akki rotti recipe at Ruchii, the pics on which blog helped me understand what the final product should look like.

What you need:
Rice flour - 2 cups
Water - 2 cups
Salt - to taste
Carrots - 2, grated
Asafoetida - a little
Sprouted green gram - a handful
Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
Corriander - some, chopped fine
Green chillies - 2 or 3, minced

Take all the ingredients except water in a large bowl. Mix well.
Bring water to a rolling boil. Add it little by little to the flour and mix well with a spatula until it becomes a smooth dough. Even though I boiled 2 cups of water, I used only about a cup and a quarter. The amount of water used will depend on the quality of the flour. Cover and keep aside until it becomes warm enough to handle. Mix in 2 tsp of oil and knead well.
Pinch out a ball of dough. Pat it onto the kadai, spreading it thin with your hands. Drizzle a little oil over it and then cook covered on medium heat until done. You will know that it is done when the under side becomes crisp and brown, and the top turns from white to a creamish colour.
Serve hot, as it tends to turn hard when it cools down.

I served it with a spicy tomato chutney.
Do take a look at what my fellow marathoners are up to.

17 comments:

Harini said...

I also make this but never used boiling water..shall try out this method too..

MySpicyKitchen said...

Nice recipe!

Mélange said...

Akki rotti looks tempting Jayasree..nutritious !

Aarthi said...

yummy dish

Priya Suresh said...

Havent had akki rotis since a long, my fav..

Suma Gandlur said...

Our favorite one.
Using hot / warm water is the usual way these rottis are done, I just add plain cold water from the tap and it doesn't alter the dish in any way.
Also as you mentioned, I prefer a tawa / flat pan for making these. I usually use two or immediately put the tawa under tap water if using only one tawa. That quikens the process a liitle bit. :)

Vardhini said...

New one .. looks yummy.

Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

Srivalli said...

The method we make is much more simpler Jay..though I know this must have tasted awesome too..great job in making new dishes at home..:)

Unknown said...

wow..i love this and this looks delicious..

Archana Vivek said...

Nice one Jay. looks crispy and good.

Kalyani said...

Love Akki Rotti !! Although we make it differently by making the rotti separately on a greased surface and then transferring it to the tava ! your version with boiling water sounds interesting !

Cheers
Kalyani
Event: One Pot Meals

vaishali sabnani said...

another new one for me....looks grt..n tempting!

lata raja said...

I have also heard how time consuming this recipe gets. But it sure tastes just excellent.
Glad that you shared a tip there and I might just do that, pat it on a sheet and cook!

Unknown said...

wow, it looks perfect dear !!!

Vimitha Durai said...

Never tried this but looks yum and healthy...

Monika said...

this looks so delicous

Degchi said...

Akki roti a nice savoury dish. I always call Akki roti the cousin of Thalipeeth.