Pages

Monday, June 03, 2013

School lunch box - Day 1

Another school year has begun, and with it, the everyday ritual of breaking my head about what to send in the little girl's lunch box. I have only one criteria in mind when deciding what goes in - It must come back finished. To this end, I have told her that on weekends, she can sit and plan out the entire lunch box menu for the coming week. This way, with her involved in the process, there is less chance of the lunch box coming back home just the way it was packed and sent. She has three breaks in school - a breakfast break, lunch break and an afternoon snack break.
From today, for the rest of this month, I will be posting on the blog, what the little girl's lunch box is comprised of.
Here's today's lunch box menu :

Breakfast break - 2 Cheese rolls.
These are really simple to make. Trim the crust from a slice of bread. Place a strip of cheese in the middle of the bread. Microwave for 10-15 seconds until the cheese just begins to melt. Shape into a roll while the bread is still warm.
Lunch break - 2 rotis and ladies finger(okra/vendakka/bhindi) stir fry. (Check out my recipe for ladies finger stir fry here)
Snack break - 1 pomegranate.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

nice idea of cataloging them... love the idea of involving the kid to decide it... I will try involving my kid for what she wants for lunch.. let me see what ideas she gets...
Sowmya
Event - Authentic Indian Sweets w giveaway
Event - FR - Eggless Baking - Sweet/Savory
Event - Kid's delight - Sweet Treats

Lavanya Raj said...

Jay, from this year, i got to pack lunch for my kid! my head is spinning as i have not trained him to eat alone yet!

plz continue to post, as it will be help full for me!

i like the idea of cheese roll!

Srivalli said...

That's such a lovely post Jay. I still remember doing the same with my daughter when she was this age. I guess I will be still doing it..her school starts this week...I have always seen that when they involve in deciding the box comes back empty...:)