Pages

Monday, February 05, 2018

Muringakkai puli kuzhambu (Drumsticks cooked in a tangy tamarind base)

This is another simple, every day meal that we love. Most South Indians tend to love the tanginess that tamarind lends to any dish. I am no exception. Drumsticks grow in abundance in my parents' home. When I lived there, I couldn't care less for this vegetable. Now that I have access only to frozen drumsticks, and on rare occasions, fresh ones which don't match up to the robust flavor of home-grown Indian drumsticks. I miss those little things that I took for granted. This kuzhambu makes use of frozen drumsticks and frozen pearl onions which I buy as a matter of convenience, not non-availability of fresh ones. It is similar to vathal kuzhambu. The main difference between the two is that this one uses fresh vegetables whereas vathal kuzhambu makes use of sun dried vegetables and berries.
Do check out my earlier posts on vathal kuzhambu and the making of sundried sundakka vathal.


What you need:
Tamarind - Lemon sized ball soaked in enough hot water to yield two cups of extract
Oil (preferably sesame) - 2 tbsp.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Chana dal - 1/2 tsp
Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Pearl onions - 8-10
Drumsticks - 8-10 pieces if using frozen (2, chopped if using fresh)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder - 2 tsp
Asafoetida - a generous sprinkling
Salt

Heat oil in a kadai. Add the dals. When they start to redden, add mustard seeds, methi seeds and curry leaves. When the mustard pops, add pearl onions and saute till pink. Add tamarind extract, drumstick pieces, asafoetida, turmeric, salt and sambar powder. Stir well and let it come to a boil. Boil on low flame for a few minutes to allow the gravy to thicken. If you feel that it is too watery, it can be thickened by adding rice paste which is made by adding one teaspoon of rice flour to water to make a thick paste. This rice paste can be stirred into the kuzhambu, with constant stirring.
Serve the kuzhambu hot with rice and a dollop of ghee or sesame oil.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

11 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

I seriously love the beetroot poriyal with puli kuzhambu, you are tempting me with your click. Fingerlicking kuzhambu there.

Sandhiya said...

Either puli kuzhambu or sambar,drumstick gives amazing flavor to the curry !! I always prefer to add alteast few drumstick in my puli kuzhambu. Tempting Curry!!!

Harini R said...

I can imagine myself having that plate for lunch tomorrow. I love tangy gravies and this version sounds just as mouth watering.

vaishali sabnani said...

The tangy tamarind curry sounds lovely , must try it .

Srivalli said...

This is so awesome, I love this puli kuzhambu though I guess it is an acquired taste..still can't beat this combo!

Unknown said...

Good experiments on food!! learnt new recipes..also i have seen some good recipes here
you can try something different with these recipes.
https://www.zedua.com/blog/kids-recipes/

code2cook said...

This must be a tasty tangy and delicious recipe. I have never tried drum sticks. But in restaurants I had seen them in sambhar.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Drumstick is the star ingredient in the puli kuzhambu. My boys love drumstick and they would be so delighted to eat puli kuzhambu.

cookingwithsapana said...

I have only used drumstick in sambhar, this gravy sounds interesting.

www.annapurnaz.in said...

This tangy drumstick curry sounds interesting. Alas! can't get drumsticks here in Punjab.

Mayuri Patel said...

I make drumsticks often but with yogurt and besan. I'm going to try this version for a change. As I reading the ingredients I could imagine how the gravy would taste.